Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Enigma.



I’ve been watching a lot of Hulu lately and I have frequently been watching this show called “Secrets of War” and it is mostly about World War II, imagine that. I’m not a war buff or a WWII buff or anything, I just find history interesting. I have already watched all of the “Pure History” episodes (those are generally great, BTW).


So I have been watching this SECRETS OF WAR! Show (If the title was less bombastic I might not feel like such a nerd right now) and many, many, many times they have explained how the Nazi code machine Enigma worked. If you have a passing knowledge of World War II espionage you know that the Enigma machine was supposed to be unbreakable but that the British (with help from the Polish) figured it out early in the war and so the Allies were reading the Nazi’s mail the whole time. Well I get a little upset because every episode that has to address the Enigma machine itself uses THE SAME little explanatory footage and history. It is verbatim from one episode to another. Basically the makers of this show made the explanation one time and used it over and over and over again. Like the poor, put-upon editors of this series get to the enigma part in the script and sigh and shrug and ask each other, “Where is that Enigma thing we made, I have to drop the damn thing in here again.”


I don’t know why this annoys me so much. 

.
.
.

No comments: