Monday, January 7, 2013

The Time I Met Joe Black and He Thought I Was Gay.



Recently I was on a couple of planes. On my way back from Christmas with my family I flew from JFK to Burbank, which is a decently long flight. I picked up a couple of magazines at the airport because buying magazines at the airport is one of my guilty pleasures. Well I guess I was feeling like feeling sophisticated because I picked up a copies of The New Yorker and Vogue. I do stuff like that sometimes because I’m very fancy.

On the plane I ended up seated in between two relatively young women. The one at the window seat was an attractive but not very friendly looking Armenian girl with black jeans tucked into tan leather boots, which I guess is okay. If you have to, I guess. The woman on the aisle was very polite and made a little bit of small talk before takeoff. She had black black hair that I thought was interesting because it didn’t seem to be dyed or cut or really even thought about or anything. Like if this woman mugged you and later the cop asked what she looked like, all you would think to say was, “She had black hair.”

Anyway, after takeoff I sat there reading my Vogue and listening to whatever the hell was on the TV (I was on Jet Blue which I LOVE because you get your own little TV with basic cable on it). The movie “Meet Joe Black” was on and I figured that was a good movie to watch on a long flight because it is very long and kinda boring, but also beautifully shot and – I think – an interesting enough movie. And it has Claire Folani in it and I had the biggest crush on her back around the time that she was in movies.

So I’m reading along about “Style Across America” in the Special Edition 2012 “Best Dressed” issue and I look up at the TV and there is young and blonde Bratt Pitt sucking peanut butter off a spoon and I realized suddenly that I am kinda well-dressed just then (as per usual, what?) and watching a Brad Pitt movie and reading a copy of Vogue that cost me ten bucks and – well obviously – these two attractive young women both think that I am gay. Gay like Will, not gay like Jack, but still very gay.

Now, obviously, I have no problem with anyone being gay. I’m an advocate. I give money. I have not one, but TWO pro-gay rights, anti-hate buttons on my backpack. And I’m fine with the fact that I own more scarves than most straight men. And I actually enjoy clothes shopping with women and I, you know, buy Vogue (and sometimes Cosmo), but at just that moment I was not terribly okay with these two women quietly thinking that I was gay. And so I got a little fidgety in my little airplane seat, but there was nowhere for me to go, so I didn’t go anywhere.

 I wasn’t bothered by people thinking I was gay. People have made that mistake before and I have generally taken it as a compliment. I was bothered by the fact that these two attractive women with whom I was spending six long hours in very close quarters clearly did not feel any sexual tension with me whatsoever. Nothing. They were BOTH – by the way – watching “Meet Joe Black” by that point too, because Brad Pit is so dreamy and there weren’t any DUDES around to make fun of them. Nope, just that short gay guy with the Elvis Costello glasses.

I wished and wished just then that I had also bought a Playboy and a copy of Penthouse Letter (they still sell Penthouse Letters at airports and I think that is weird because you never really see it anywhere else). At the very least I should have had a Maxim to read or something. But alas, no. It was just me and these women and Vogue and Brad Pitt (whose performance in that movie – I now realize – was designed to mock me. That was really forward thinking on his part considering that “Meet Joe Black” came out in 1998).

So I did what I thought was best; I gave up completely and dinged the flight attendant to bring me a stiff drink and some free cookies (You get free cookies and chips on Jet Blue. It is pretty fucking cool. And yeah, I am bragging a little.)

.
.
.

No comments: