Thursday, August 13, 2015

Feeling Conflicted about the Patriarchy.

Feeling Conflicted About the Patriarchy
by james bezerra


All of my
high-minded
intellectualism
goes out the window
when mini-skirts.


Because we
convinced you -
with our impeccable,
unstoppable,
mass-marketing Capitalism machine -


that your tan bare legs,
smooth and long,
are the same
as freedom,
as expression.


Of course your
ass-tight, nearly sheer
black tights
are the most comfortable thing you own;
we’ve made them that way.


We’ve gotten
two generations of you
laced into
Victoria’s Secret
and we made it hugely expensive.


I recognize how poorly
we’ve treated you
how much we’ve sexualized you
and how much we shame you
for acting how we ask you to.


And yet,
I still love you
in La Perla,
in Agent Provocateur,
or in nothing.


We want
our daughters
to be nuns
and everyone else’s daughters
to be strippers.


I want
to save you
from me
but I realize
even that is a misogyny.

.
.
.

No comments: