Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A PSA: The Jetboil Zip Cooking System.

This is a public service announcement that will be informative/useful for absolutely none of the regular visitors to this blog.

Since I’m starting to get into all of this backpacking type stuff, I bought (on sale at REI) a Jetboil Zip stove. If you’re a fancy-pants outdoorsy person, you will find yourself compelled to call it a “cooking system”.



Basically its this cool little thing that is half cup and half stove. All the pieces and parts and the little fuel canister fit into the cup part for storage. When you want to cook, it takes about a minute to put it together. It will make it super easy for me to reliably boil water (for coffee and dehydrated food) or to actually cook (it has a cool little attachment that allows you to cook with a pan instead of the special cup). Basically this is the thing that will keep me from starving while I am out in nature.



Anyway, here is the public service announcement part:

IT IS REALLY LOUD!

I read 4,000 websites about this thing before I bought it and not a single one of them said, “Oh by the way, when you open the valve so that you can ignite the burner it sounds like a banshee being stabbed by a howler monkey.”

I swear to god that the first time I opened the valve, I thought that I had somehow broken the thing and that my apartment was about to explode.

Well, turns out that that didn’t happen, because nothing was actually wrong. That noise is NORMAL.

So there you have it:
The Jetboil Zip cooking system, a great little backpacking device, but as LOUD AND TERRIFYING AS A SHRIEKING EEL!




.
.

No comments: