Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Get Thee Short Story to a Nunnery!

So today in my Senior Seminar writing class I had a story workshopped. For the uninitiated, workshop is basically a dissection of o piece of your own work. Last week I submitted a story to the class and (presumably) they all read it and today they all talked about it in front of me. They talked about the strengths and the weaknesses and what I can change or fix. It can be an excruciating experience and often is, however I have generally been lucky enough to have good groups of people workshop me.

So my story was well-received, but that’s not really what I want to tell you about.

What I want to tell you abut is the fact that there is a nun in my class. That is not unusual in and of itself. This being the twenty-first century it isn’t really even that weird. She is a skilled writer and I think that she has a lot of potential and I actually like her quite a lot.

When I turned in the story last week I did it with a little trepidation because while the story was not dirty it had some colorful language and I was worried that she might look at me funny afterword and – you know – call the Pope or something (though he has bigger problems right now).

So I got to class today and she told me that she just loved the story and she thought that it was very funny (it was supposed to be, BTW) and that not only did she enjoy reading it, but she read some parts of it to her sister nuns

Yes. That is correct.

Nuns were reading my writing to each other, presumably in a nunnery or some such place.

I just love that. It makes me all warm and tingly inside because I think that it is the funniest thing.

I just wanted to share that with you.



.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments: