Monday, April 5, 2010

Decline to State.



So recently one of Violet’s younger brothers was asking me about the stars on the American flag (he’s 6 and we were at a restaurant that had a lot of flags) and I was doing my best to (quickly) explain that each star is a state and that there used to be fewer states.

Well that seemed to go over pretty well, at least in so much as a six-year-old cares.

The perpetual dork in me was hoping that I would be asked to name all of the states (because I would totally be able to do it).

But then I read this article at NPR.com and I think that I would have felt pretty silly rattling off the state of Desert or Lost Dakota or Transylvania.

A man named Michael J. Trinklein has written the book Lost States: True Stories of Texlahoma, Transylvania, and Other States That Never Made It.

I want to rush right out and buy it! I don’t really care about Star Wars or Twilight or video games or Apple products, but fake states? Yeah, this is the kind of thing that excites me.


.
.
.
.
.

No comments: