Wednesday, February 3, 2016

On Instagram (Again).


I have posted this before, but it has been on my mind alot lately because I am working on a project that I think will end up being part photobook and part fictional narrative. I’m imagining something is like a coffee table book of photography that is filled with lies. In my head it is the kind of cool little book you would buy at Urban Outfitters, but - you know - good.

Anyway, this is what I posted before:



On Instagram.



I’m not suggesting that you actually read this article by Neil Shea,
as it is like 5,000 words too long, but it does contain this paragraph, which I quite like:

I came to understand the Instagram experience, with its constant flow of images and text boxes, presented an alternative story geometry that demanded from me new things. Shorter stories, sure, but also the app asks for a deeper consideration of photographs and the rich, nuanced ways that words and pictures work together. Over time I realized that beneath the selfie surface, Instagram provided a powerful, unexpected, and mostly underutilized storytelling tool.

No comments: