Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wondrous Life




I'm so excited! Tonight I am going to start reading "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" for my Hybrid Narrative class. It is rare that you are assigned a book that you want to read and so this is like having my cake and eating it too! I guess!

I never really understood that saying. Doesn't it mean the same thing as a sentence if I rephrase it as "Getting to eat the cake I have!" But I'm pretty sure that no longer works as a saying because now you're just like, "Well ... yeah. Why wouldn't you eat the cake that you already have?"

This is probably a saying that has some very specific meaning that I am simply unaware of. Somebody is going to be all: "It means such-and-such, dumb-ass." And then I will feel like a dumb-ass.

Well, whatever.

I like to think that it has something to do with Marie Antoinette's "Let them eat cake" thing. I feel like these two things are (or should be) cosmically connected.

But anywhoo ...

I'm totally going to read the hell out of some Juno Diaz later.


That's probably not true. It's like 8pm already and I'm just barely leaving work and I probably won't read until I get in bed at like Midnight and then I will fall asleep in like five minutes because I got up before six and have to again tomorrow, but what do you care? There is no reason why you should. God, I am awful at this whole blogging thing.

Sorry.

1 comment:

alittleposy said...

"Have your cake and eat it too" I get, but one that's always puzzled me is "The exception proves the rule." That's just fucked up logic if you ask me.