Monday, January 10, 2011

New Hobby: Finding a Hobby.

Okay, so I have been trying to find a hobby.

This search is not going well.

The thing is, I have been writing my whole life and I’m still trying to write as much as I can, but unfortunately, being a writer means spending a lot of time alone. And that’s fine, but I need something to fill the non-work and non-writing parts of the day, of which there are many (I have discovered) when you’re single.

In an effort to figure out what the hell sort of hobby I should take up, I have composed a list of all the many myriad things that I already like:

I like writing.
I like drinking.
I like sex.


That’s it.

That’s my whole list.

This, I think, is part of the problem.

I looked at this list and I was like, “Fucking really? Those are the only god damn things that I like?”

So I started to think about it some more.

Do I like skiing?
I mean, sure, if you want to go skiing, I will go, but I don’t really care. And I don’t have any skis. And I would probably hit a tree and die anyway.

And it has all been like that!

Do I like gardening?
Doesn’t matter, I have nowhere to garden.

Do I like knitting?
Simply, no.

Do I like stamp collecting?
No.

Do I like watching sports?
Not even a little.

Do I want to learn to play the guitar?
Not really.

Do I want to start painting?
Nope, am terrible at it.

Do I want to start playing Farmville?
Oh god, please just shoot me now.

This is generally the point of my hobby search when I stop and get a glass of wine, because that’s something that I know I like.

Now – I feel the need to point out – I’m not complaining right now. I’m happy to have a little extra time in my life. I was very go-go-go-go-go for several years there, so much so that I have had to train myself to relax. It has been working, a little. This is largely due to – this is totally embarrassing and I can’t believe that I’m admitting it – Wii boxing.

Like a year ago my friend Mike the Director left a Wii at my old apartment and I recently discovered that if I come home after work and beat the living shit out of some cartoons for about thirty minutes, it super de-stressed me. Mostly it just gets me out of my head for a little while.

However! I refuse to become a gamer.

I simply will not do it. I feel guilty enough when I just watch a movie (guilty because that’s two hours of my life when I wasn’t DOING something. And I need to be DOING something! Because one day I’m gonna die and then I won’t be able to DO anything.)

So anyway, I think that I have strayed from the point.

The point, I think, was that I need to find a hobby. Suggestions? Anybody? Hey you, guy from South Korea who reads this blog, what do you guys do with your free time over there?

Otherwise, if anybody wants to come over and write, drink, and/or have sex, you know where to find me. That is, until I take up decoupage out of desperation.





.
.
.
.
.
(The legal department here at StandardKink has advised me that I should say that I was “just kidding” about the “drinking” and “sex” bits of that last paragraph, because otherwise it might appear that I was offering booze and services to the wilds of the internet . . . but – you know – whatever.)

No comments: