Monday, October 4, 2010

A New and Awfuller Than Normal Poem!

No Cars, No Clothes:
A Post-Apocalyptic Love Story Poem.

By
James Bezerra

There are no cars.
There are no clothes.
There are no cars with doors I can close.

We have no cars, but that’s okay, because we have no clothes.
Why would we want to leave here anyway?


When there were cars, you had clothes.
And I had clothes that I would wear to meet you.
and I would greet you,
and never say how much I loved you.

Because what does love matter when we’re dressed so nice?
Surely your love would’ve had too high a price.
But then the cars all went away, so we had to stay. The whole world trapped in place, a perpetual non-motion machine.

And us trapped here.
I’m trapped with you and you’re trapped with me.
But when we threw our clothes away, I said:

We have no cars, but that’s okay, because we have no clothes.
Why would we want to leave here anyway?


If there still were cars, or
if there were still clothes,
we wouldn’t be all wrapped up here;
all wrapped up in your legs, wrapped up in my arms, all wrapped up in our mouths,
in our sweat, in our skin, in our smell, all wrapped up in the surprise of our tenderness.

If there were still clothes and cars and worlds beyond the horizon,
then we never would have learned each other’s bodies. Never would have mapped your freckles, never would have learned the little dry cracks in your lips, never would have seen me reflected in your eyes below me. Never would have learned much at all.

The world ended when the cars went away and the clothes fell away and that’s okay because:
we have no cars,
and that’s okay,
because we have no clothes.
Why would we want to leave here anyway?



.
.
:)
.

No comments: