Monday, April 19, 2021

An Airstream on the Beach.

 

This will have to be a short post. I have kind of a big day at work today (tomorrow as well) and I will need to go log in a little early. There is a silver lining though, after tomorrow I should be able to downshift into a more reasonable workload. I may even get crazy and take a day off! We’ll see. A lot depends on how these couple of days go.


Yesterday I was talking to my family (on our weekly Zoom call) and said that although I would like to take a couple days off and take a little trip at the beginning of May (which will be two weeks after my second shot), it has been hard to come up with somewhere relatively nearby to go to. See, since I like on the central coast of California, why would I want to go anywhere else???


What I really want is to hop a flight to anywhere with just a backpack, and spend a couple days wandering around and looking at the world, but I don’t think I’m quite in the right head space yet for a non-essential flight, so I’ve been doing what I do and looking at Google Earth and trying to find a weird place I can drive to. No luck yet, I haven’t settled on anything. What I really want is to rent a nice Airstream sitting on a beach, but I have yet to find exactly that.


Maybe today during the not super busy parts of my day, I’ll make a list (I love lists) about what I would like to do with a couple of free days. I think that what I really miss is being around people, but we are not yet at a point where that is quite back to normal yet. I would really like a good hotel bar, but it doesn’t seem like we are quite there yet either.


I heard this morning that half of all Americans over 18 have gotten at least one vaccination, which makes me very happy. A rare good bit of news. I suspect that getting the remaining half of people vaccinated will take much much longer, but I also hope I’m wrong.


I’m hoping that without too much trouble we can start to reach some of those “herd immunity” thresholds, because that’s really when we can hop back on planes and go to bars and concerts and museums. That will be when we can meet strangers and have a drink and tell big fish stories in airport bars. I’ve said before that when we come out the end of the tunnel on this whole thing, my personal clock resets to when I’d only lived here 5 months and so I have to begin again the work of meeting people and making friends and building a life. I’m not entirely sure if I am looking forward to that work, but I’d like to go ahead and get started on it already.



.

.

.


No comments: