Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Where To Go When We Can Go.

 


I keep what’s called a bullet journal. It is called a “bullet journal” because it is built around the concept of bullet points, not because it is just a diary that has a topically masculine word in it to make men feel better about. Do you know how many ads I see for “tactical pants” and “Get-Home Bags” with pockets for a conceal-carry handgun? A lot.


Anyway. I keep a bullet journal. Every day I make some notes in it about my day. The fun thing about bullet journaling is that you’re also supposed to keep lists and make plans and such. IT is one part diary and one part life organizer. I draw a new little calendar every month and I use it to keep track of when I water my succulents and which days I work from home (hint: it’s all of them). I keep a list of books I want to read and movies I want to watch and when I hear a song I like, I put it on the list so I can go track down the whole album to listen to.


I also have been keeping lists of places I want to go. One list is sort of a big trip list (Morocco, the Cordoba Mosque, walking the Camino de Santiago, etc.) and the other lists is smaller, more manageable trips, mostly in the US, the kind of trips I could knock out in a couple of days if I stumble on a cheap flight. 


Lately I have been thinking a lot about that second list. It seems likely that international travel will be largely off the table for Americans through probably the rest of this year, but once more Americans get vaccinated, domestic travel will likely come roaring back. Here are some of the smaller US-only trips I’ve been daydreaming about:


 Pittsburgh - I really want to see the Cathedral of Learning and I dig a city with lots of bridges.


Cleveland - I was supposed to go here for a work conference last year and I feel like the pandemic stole it from me, so as a fuck-you to Covid, I’m going to make the trip. I’ve heard the downtown and theater districts are pretty cool.


The Gulf Coast - I’m just a California kid that I’ve internalized the idea that the ocean is supposed to be west of me. I think it would be fun to stand on the beach and look at an ocean that is south and east of me. 


Key West - Can you get more weird and distant than Key West? You know they declared themselves their own country a while ago. A friend of mine who lives down there says there are barge bars you can only get to on a boat.


Four Corners - I really want to do the hopscotch thing between all four states. Yes, I’m embarrassing, I know.


Yellowstone - How have I not been to Yellowstone yet???


Great Sand Dunes National Park - Did you know America has sand dunes?! Like Sahara Desert stye sand dunes just hanging out in Colorado?


Minneapolis-Saint Paul - I really want to see the skyways. Damn you 99% Invisible for making me interested in this! I’m going in the summer though.


Humboldt - I’ve been a central and southern California person, I know nothing about the forested magical medieval weirdness of northern California.


Chesapeake Bay - I don’t really understand it.



That’s it for now. I need to start crossing some of these off.


.

.

.


No comments: