Thursday, March 25, 2021

The Wisdom of The Crowd.

 

This will have to be a short post today because I am running a little behind schedule this morning.


BUT NO! The crowd shouts, HOW WILL WE GET THROUGH OUR DAY IF WE DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT???


Well calm down, that is why I am here at all.


OKAY, SORRY FOR OVERREACTING! The crowd shouts back in unison.


 So I did a pretty good run yesterday, about 7.25 miles and I got really far out into the wilderness and there was ALOT of going up and down hills. And the day before I did a respectable 6.67 miles and that was similarly rough terrain, but add those two things up and last night my body just threw in the towel. Even my hips were like, “Nope, we are done working for the day, sorry.”


It is so weird that this body can be running up the side of a hill and then an hour later I can barely stand up from a sitting position on the sofa.


YOU CALL IT A SOFA? The crowd shouts.


Yeah, what do you call it?


WE CALL IT A COUCH! WE ALL AGREED. The crowd shouts.


My grandmother used to call it a davenport.


WELL FUCK THAT NOISE! The crowd shouts.


Anyway, I guess that all I’m trying to say here is that having bodies is weird. I have spent most of my life trying to make my mind big and make it work good and only the last ten years or so have I even been aware of the fact that a body - even one as C- as mine - can do cool stuff like run up the sides of hills or backpack up into the mountains or propel a kayak out into the ocean. Yet here we are, where doing that makes one unable to bend down enough to turn on the bathroom faucet.


And look, of course I’m joking. I’m lucky for the body I have. I’m surprisingly healthy and my legs work and my eyes work, etc. I’m not actually actually complaining. I think what I’m saying is that I’m aging and it makes me want to squeeze all the luck I still can out of this body while it can still do stuff. There are so many hills out there that I haven’t run up the side of yet. Part of aging is the realization that a life simply isn’t long enough for us to get to run up and down every single hill out there, but I’m happy this body has time enough still to run up a few more of them.


WE CAN NEVER TELL IF THESE POSTS ABOUT RUNNING ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HUMBLE-BRAGS! The crowd shouts.


No, they’re really not, it’s just that these are the things I think about and no one reads this blog anyway and none of you are real, I made up the whole crowd.


WELL NOW WE ALL HAVE EXISTENTIAL ANGST BECAUSE WE DON’T ACTUALLY EXIST! The crowd shouts.


Believe me, I know how you feel.



.

.

.


No comments: