Thursday, July 30, 2015

Half-Drunk on Fremont Street.


Half-Drunk on Fremont Street
by james bezerra


For me
it was like
touching the face of God
when, half-drunk on Fremont Street,
I realized
the Las Vegas strip club
in my favorite novel
was real,
with just a slightly altered name.


I don't have
a Mecca,
or even
a Galilee,
but as I stood there
besotted
beneath that
high bright
blinking canopy of light,
I briefly vibrated into tune
with the appallingly strange
and randomly merciful
interconnectedness
of everything.


G-string Sirens beckoned
into the air conditioned blue light
scented with lotus blossoms
and thick with Blowback.


Heaven likely
doesn't have strippers
and Hell
likely doesn't have
a two drink minimum
at nine bucks apiece,


But what a revelatory
few moments
I once was
gifted while
half-drunk on Fremont Street.

.
.
.

No comments: