Sunday, July 19, 2015

An Email I Sent to My Parents about the Weather.


You've probably seen some odd weather reports out of Southern California the past couple days, so I thought I would clarify what has been going on.

Friday we had a perfectly warm and normal summer day, which is to say that some freeways caught on fire. Saturday morning I drove a friend to the airport and I passed in and out of two different micro-climate rain storms on the way. In LA we call those "free car washes". Then it dripped and trickled throughout the afternoon, temperature in the 60s, but then the cloud cover moved off and it was in the 70s around midnight.

This morning was insufferably thick and humid in a way that reminded me of Boston or New York in the summer. That's when I ran all of my errands because I am, apparently, not very bright. The later afternoon was quite nice and a little breezy even. Then about 6:15 this evening the sky opened up and we have had a sustained downpour to such a degree that water is up to the curbs because the sewer grates are clogged because we use them for trash down here.

The weather report says that when I wake up to walk to work in the morning it will be about 70 with a 50% chance of rain, so it might be a perfectly nice day or a thick and wet one, but there is no way to know right now. I used to work with a guy from Nebraska who used to make fun of the "weather" here, but even he texted me earlier to ask what exactly is going on.

I'm not complaining, all this is still better than snow or mosquitos, but I can imagine it might seem confusing if you're anywhere else, and I just wanted to say that it is indeed confusing, even to those of us who are here.

.
.
.

No comments: