Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Life + Insurance = Funny

So at work today I learned that our company funded life insurance is voided by, among other things, “Active participation in a riot.”

When I asked the insurance lady how they would know if I was actively participating in the riot, she seemed a little flummoxed, but then politely responded that the medical examiner would be able to determine that. I think that that is probably a pretty standard answer if you are the life insurance lady, which has got to be kind of strange for her. Also, it plays into the weird idea that CSI has given us that these forensics people can figure anything out, which I’m pretty sure is untrue. Because they haven’t caught Dexter yet. Although, since Dexter is one of the forensics people he knows what to do and not do.

You know what else would void my health insurance? If my death resulted from, “War, declared or undeclared, or any act of war.”

And don’t even get me started on the stipulations about suicide. According to the literature, they will pay some portion of the life insurance if you’re a suicide, but only if the event takes place more than one year after enrolling. So I guess the expectation is that if you sign up for life insurance because you are planning to kill yourself, then maybe after a year you will have thought it over a little more?

Anyway, good times.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments: