Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Vignette City 9.

*** ‘Vignette City’ is an ongoing project of daily writing and urban photography ***





There is a new family of them.

Where do they all come from?

They moved in down the hall. I saw them. They moved in at night. That seems strange. Who would do that? What don’t they want us to see? I’m going to bring this up at the next building meeting. I just hope they aren’t there. They won’t be they probably won’t even go because they don’t care. People who look like that don’t care about anything.

I called Edith about it right after I saw them moving. I went to the kitchen and called her and she said that she could see their rented moving truck out her window. Edith lives two floors up and she has her phone in her kitchen just like me and so she was two floors up right above me and she said that she heard from Bonnie that they speak Greek. Or something that sounds like Greek. “It sure sounded like Greek,” Edith said that Bonnie had said.

“I’ve seen people like them on the nightly news,” I said, because I had. They move into this city where we have been working all our lives to make it a good city and they don’t care.

“I think they are cooking already,” Edith said, “I can smell something weird already.”

“I heard on the news,” I said, “that they are cannibals in their religion.” I whispered that word ‘cannibals’ because who wants to say that word out loud? I don’t.

“Well Bonnie said that in their religion they worship a zombie. A zombie! What are we going to do if more of them show up? What if they take over our building?”

“They drink blood,” that is what I said, because that’s what I had heard around. “They drink the blood and they eat the body. It’s what they do at church! That is what was said on the television.”

“Bonnie says that her daughter lives next door to some. You remember Bonnie’s daughter? The one with all the teeth? Well Bonnie’s daughter says that the ones that live next door to her all wear this jewelry around their necks …”

“On the television I heard they anonymously whisper all their sins to each other. They tell each other all the bad things they have done. In the dark in a little closet or something. That’s what the news said.”

“The necklaces,” Edith said, “have some kind of torture device on them. And they worship it! That is what Bonnie’s daughter says. Can you believe that? Who has ever heard of such a thing?”

“I don’t like this,” I said, because I love people, but I just don’t trust these new ones. They don’t even look like us. “It makes me miss my Tom. He never would have let this happen. He was a good man that way.”

“Yes he sure was,” Edith said. She had always been a little sweet on Tom and I knew it, but what does it matter now.

“I’m going to say something at the next building meeting,” I said.

“You should,” Edith said. “Somebody has to.”


.
.
.

No comments: