Thursday, September 4, 2014

Truthiness.



So remember how I told you that I would be taking a creative non-fiction class? Well it has begun.


And remember how I was saying that I didn’t want to read the memoirs of grad students? Well the class met for the first time last week and it took 78 minutes for someone to say that she was already working on her memoirs anyway. That was the first night of class and on the first night of a class you spend the first hour making sure everybody is in the proper room and then going over the syllabus, so - in my adjusted reality - it really only took 18 minutes for her to say it. So there’s that.


Our first writing assignment was a “personal narrative” which is basically just a short memoir-ish piece. The prompt was: write about a time when you were young and had to make a decision.

That’s pretty broad. Below is what I wrote. I believe that all of this is true. Or at least pretty true in so far as I can remember. But my memory is pretty bad. You know what? Let’s not use the word ‘truth’, let’s use the word ‘truthiness’. I’m way more comfortable with that.


.
.
.

No comments: