Monday, March 22, 2010

No Country for Kevin Bacon.

The other night I was totally exhausted and I was sitting on the couch clicking back and forth between two different movies. This post gets more interesting, I promise.

I was watching “No Country for Old Men” and “In the Line of Fire”.

I started to think about how, with so many good and/or popular actors were in these two movies that it would be really easy to connect the two somehow Kevin Bacon Style.

Well then I started to think about it and think about it and think about it . . . and it was really hard for me! Now maybe this will be easy for you, maybe I just missed some HUGE connection, but I didn’t think so, which is fascinating because here you have Clint Eastwood, John Malkovich, Rene Russo and then Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Woody Harelson, Tommy Lee Jones!

This should be easy, right!

Clint Eastwood has worked with Morgan Freeman who has worked with everybody! John Malkovich has worked with John Cusack and Cameron Diaz! Rene Russo has worked with Mel Gibson! Josh Brolin has worked with Richard Dreyfuss!

But I could not make it work. I was so frustrated.

And then, like a vision, like an angel, who should walk into that meeting room in the Old Executive Office Building and shake hands with Clint Eastwood? Who?



That’s right, Bill Lumbergh himself, Gary Cole.

And like a flash of jagged lightning sent on high from Kevin Bacon I had it!

Gary Cole is in “In the Line of Fire” and also in “Pinapple Express” with James Franco who was in “Milk” with Josh Brolin who was in “No Country for Old Men”.

Success! I was very proud of myself because it was a job well done. It was not pretty and it was not clean and it was not fancy, but god-as-my-witness I stuck the landing.

But something about it still didn’t sit right with me and for days now it has been slowly gnawing at my brain like some sort of water-borne Amazonian disease. And then just now I came up with it! I figured it out! It has the kind of simple elegance that physicists used to look for when contemplating the Grand Unified Theory.

Do you know what it is? Can you connect them?

You probably can, you probably already have, but if you have not then scroll down. But if you want to stew on it for a little while, then don’t scroll down. It is an exercise in freedom.

TTFN.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
“Space Cowboys” staring Clint Eastwood and Tommy Lee Jones.

Oh, and because it is (almost) tangentially related, here is a picture of Scarlett Johansson (who was in “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” with Javier Bardem, and who is also in love with me).

No comments: