Monday, February 22, 2010

Aimee Bender Loves Me, and Other News . . .

So hello dear blog. I have missed you. It has been a busybusybusy week, but I have thought longingly of you during the calm and quiet moments and I have longed to caress these keys and to be near you.

And stuff.

Anywhoo, so last Friday Violet and I went to a literary pub crawl in Silver Lake (which for those of you who aren’t totally hipster and cool like me, is the most hipster and cool part of LA. Jenny Lewis still has an apartment out there). We went because my most favoritest professor was one of the readers (world-renowned badass Martin Pouson). You want to know who one of the other readers was? Calm down, I will tell you! It was Aimee Bender! She is one of my favorite authors and she has always been special to be because her collection “Girl in the Flammable Skirt” was one of those books I read when I was still trying to figure out how I write. It is one of those books that made me go, “You’re allowed to write like this?”

Anyway, I love her dearly and while I have seen her speak before, I have never seen her read. It, and she, was delightful.

Also of note, this was my first night out drinking since I stopped drinking and, I am happy to say, I did not drink. I really didn’t even have the urge to. Well, that’s not totally true, but it’s true enough. What I did was drink Red Bull on the rocks all night so not only was I not drunk, I was on the complete other end of the spectrum of sobriety. I was super-not-drunk. Now at some point we will have to have the conversation about how I am just tricking my brain with a different but no less stimulating mixture of chemicals, but we will do that some other time.

OH! Also of note, ended up at this awesome bar called the 4100 Bar and let me tell you, between the low light and the leather booths and the actually good music being played too loud, it is like one of my favorite places. It is also, quite sadly, within walking distance of the place I used to live in Echo Park. If only I had known about it then maybe I wouldn’t have been so bitter and lonely when I lived there. But alas, it doesn’t matter now. But if you ever have the chance, check it out.

I have to head off to class now (History of the World from 1945) but I will meet up with you again later dear blog.

I am done editing the college literary journal (The Northridge Review, on stands March 12!) and my accelerated health Science Class ends in a few weeks, so soon I will be with you much more often.

TTFN.

.
.
.
.
.

No comments: