Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Etiquette and the Instant Age.

So this girl I have known since grammar school recently Facebooked me, which is cool, but she has now recommended that I friend my seventh grade teacher Mrs. N.

Now, I loved Mrs. N. and I still do. She was a great and wonderful teacher and she should really be commended for the things that she did and tried to do: she had us sit at tables instead of at desks (to foster a sense of community, I think) and she made us actually read books and she showed us movies like Casablanca, she directed West Side Story (for a lot of the kids I grew up with in the dusty farming country of California, this was the only exposure that they would have to things like old movies or musicals or poetry). So all around, she was just a wonderful teacher and sometime when I was in high school she moved away and I figure that I would never see her or hear from her again.

But now, what with Facebook all connecting people, it would be like three clicks to locate her and be all like, “Remember me? And stuff?”

But then, every time I want to post a Facebook update that’s all, “I fucking hate everyone who has ever existed!” (I don’t. Or rather, I usually don’t), then I will have to be all like, “Hmmmmmm, how will Mrs. N. feel about this?”

Anyway, what is the etiquette?

I think the Facebook/Twitter/instant-feedback world is deeply in need of a new Miss Manners.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments: