Thursday, January 8, 2015

Fair Warning.


This is just a fair warning that there is some of my awful poetry below. And it really is awful. This is all, like, first draft quality stuff. Recently I was talking to a guy I’d just met and poetry came up and he asked if I was a poet and I said that I write poetry but I am not a poet and he said well if you write poetry how are you not a poet and I said that I have too much respect for the people who do it well to call myself one.

And anyway, I much prefer saying that I am “a writer”. When I say to someone that I am "a writer" what I am actually thinking in my head is that I am like a ninja’s Swiss Army Knife, but with words. Anyway, that’s always my subtext.

But you were asking about poetry.

Yeah, there is some below.

I always feel the need to preface my poetry posts with a preemptive apology like this one. Writing these apology posts about poetry always make me think of a poem by Jayne Cortez. That poem is actually called “Poetry”. Luckily for you I have the collection that it is in ... let me find it real quick … hold on … okay, here it is … the poem called “Poetry” is about poetry and here it is the part of the poem I am always reminded of when I apologize for my poetry:

Today poems are like flags
flying on liquor store roof
poems are like baboons
waiting to be fed by tourists

So there you go folks. If and when I ever get a collection of poetry published, I am going to get Jayne Cortez to blurb that about me.


.
.
.

No comments: